HJA was commissioned by Somerset County Council to provide socio-economic support to the county council on the case for the development of a new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point in Somerset.
Our role was to identify any negative impacts, and develop mitigation strategies; as well identifying positive impacts, and develop strategies to enhance these positive impacts.
Our work has covered a wide range of areas including:
- working with the district councils to prepare a s106 case for tourism mitigation related to the site preparatory works planning application
- responses to technical papers developed by the district councils’ consultants and EDF Energy’s consultants; and support to responses to other consultation events
- working with EDF Energy and the district councils to prepare a low carbon economy plan for Somerset
- development of a business case for a nuclear business cluster programme for Somerset, including the case for a business incubation programme
- preparation of an application for a low carbon energy Enterprise Zone for the Heart of the South West LEP area
- assessment of the overall economic impact of the HPC development; and assessment of displacement effect on the Somerset economy and commissioning of market research to evidence this
- leading on the preparation of s106 cases for: a nuclear business cluster; business displacement throughout the Somerset economy; and tourism
- supporting other members of the SCC Economy Team with the preparation of s106 cases for: broadband; local economic assessment; and education, skills and workforce engagement
Our work was a key element of the process for developing and testing the application which was approved by the Infrastructure Planning Commission (IPC) in 2013.
Hardisty Jones Associates were appointed by Somerset County Council to advise on the economic impacts and opportunities associated with Hinkley Point C New Nuclear Build proposals (HPC).
At all times Hardisty Jones, led by Dr Gareth Jones, has proved to be diligent, highly professional and able to offer pragmatic solutions which, enabled the Authority to identify how it was able to maximise the economic benefits associated with hosting a nationally significant infrastructure project. I have always found the support provided by Gareth to be first rate throughout the time he has have worked with my organisation.